General Tso’s Shrimp and General Tso’s Chicken might be my favorite “no take out take out” dishes. Until we got our air fryer the only time I could have General Tso’s Shrimp or Chicken was when we went out. We didn’t want to make it at home, mostly because I wasn’t about to oil fry the chicken or shrimp (I hate the clean up and the smell of oil. . .mostly the clean up!!)
Why Air Fry?
Air frying the shrimp (and/or chicken) changed everything! For one, it eliminates the excess work of pan frying or deep frying. Plus, it cuts calories and the flavor is the same. Still the same juicy plump shrimp. Besides, the great flavor comes from the sauce. The other part about the recipe that I love; it really only takes a few minutes to make.
For us the closest restaurant with really great General Tso’s is about 30 minutes away. I don’t know about you but during the winter I really like to stay snuggle in, especially during these cold snowy N.E. Ohio nights. Plus, on snow days we usually have an Irish Coffee so we have stay home. Haha
How to make Air Fryer General Tso’s Shrimp
This is going to blow your mind how easy it is to make this recipe. First make sure to start the rice. Once this dish starts it cooks really fast.
Marinate the shrimp
If you’re like us, you’re going to have frozen shrimp on hand. We usually pull the shrimp out of the freezer and want to use them immediately. To quickly defrost the shrimp put the bag of shrimp in a large bowl. Fill the bowl with hot water from the facet. The shrimp will defrost in about 15 minutes. Once the shrimp are defrosted remove the shells. I like to dry the shrimp with paper towels. By drying the shrimp it helps the marinade soak in better.
After the shrimp are ready, mix together the marinade and pour over the shrimp. Set aside for at least 10 minutes no longer than 20 minutes.
Mix together the Air Fryer General Tso’s Shrimp Coating
Mix together the coating – Cornstarch, baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir into the shrimp mixture and place in the air fryer basket. Make sure to spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Then spray the top of the shrimp with the cooking spray and place the basket in the air fryer. Fry at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Flip the shrimp and spray with cooking spray, then cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Now it’s time to mix the sauce! While the shrimp are in the air fryer mix together the sauce – Chicken Broth, Chili Garlic Sauce, Dry Sherry, Soy Sauce, Hoisin Sauce, Sesame Oil, Sugar, Cornstarch. It’s very important to mix the sauce before starting to cook because once this starts cooking it will be done very quickly.
Prepare the Veggies. We used Broccoli and Cauliflower. Cut them into bite size pieces.
The next step is to saute, so, in a large saute pan or wok add the oil, red chili peppers, garlic and ginger. Cook about one to two minutes, and once the garlic and ginger starts to cook add the sauce. NOTE: Make sure to stir the sauce right before pouring it into the pan. The sauce separates so a quick stir is needed. Pour the sauce into the wok and bring to a boil.
When the sauce has started to cook down by about half (this takes about 5 minutes). Add additional cornstarch if the sauce is not thick. Add the broccoli and cauliflower. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes to soften the broccoli and cauliflower. Turn off the heat and Gently toss in the Shrimp.
Serve with rice or cauliflower rice. We sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
Make sure to ENJOY!!!!
We are so excited to be one of Google’s paid early testers for their Thank with Google pilot program. Thank with Google is an experimental feature that allows you to purchase a virtual sticker and directly show your appreciation for content on our website.
We have absolutely loved seeing the variety of stickers and messages readers have selected to date. And remember, every time you send a paid sticker, you can add a personal message which we love receiving!!!! For us, these virtual stickers translate into direct revenue to support the work that goes into the content on our blog.
You can find the Thank with Google feature in multiple places on our site, including in the sidebar, as a button at the top of this and all blog posts, and as a button floating at the bottom of your screen. If you try it out, let us know what you think! We love hearing from you!!!! Thanks as always for your support.
Air Fryer General Tso’s Shrimp
Air Fryer General Tso’s Shrimp – a sweet & spicy sauce coating the broccoli & shrimp to perfection. Any spicy food lover will crave this dish.
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon Sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 3/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon White pepper can use black pepper
- Olive Oil Spray
- 2 Cups Broccoli and or Cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Dry Sherry (or Chinese Rice Wine, or Sake)
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce (Lite Soy Sauce works also)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil or Peanut Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger
- 6 Dried red chilies Optional
- Clean Shrimp
2 Pounds Shrimp
- Mix together Marinade – Egg Whites, Soy Sauce, Sherry, Sesame Oil
Pour Marinade over Shrimp. Stir to coat the ShrimpSet Shrimp mixture aside for at least 10 minutes
2 Egg Whites, 1 1/2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, 1/2 Tablespoon Sherry, 1 1/2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
- Mix together the coating – Cornstarch, Salt, Pepper and Baking Powder
3/4 Cup Cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Salt, 1/2 teaspoon White pepper
- Add cornstarch coating mixture to the Shrimp. Stir to combine
2 Pounds Shrimp
Air Fry Shrimp
- Spray air fryer with cooking spray (We used Olive Oil spray)
Olive Oil Spray
- Place a layer of the marinated shrimp in air fryer basket
Spray shrimp with cooking spray.Air Fry Shrimp at 375° for 8 minutes
- Toss and spray shrimp lightly with cooking spray. Cook for an additional 5 minutes at 375°
- Mix together all the sauce ingredients (chicken stock, sherry, chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sugar and cornstarch). NOTE: Make sure to mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl prior to starting to saute the garlic, ginger and peppers.
1 1/2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, 1/2 Tablespoon Sherry, 1 1/2 teaspoons Sesame Oil, 2 Cups Chicken Stock, 1 1/2 Tablespoons Chili Garlic Sauce, 1/4 Cup Dry Sherry, 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil, 1 Tablespoon Sugar, 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch, 1 1/2 Tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
- Heat 1 TBS of vegetable or peanut oil in a large saute pan
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- Add garlic, ginger and red dried peppers to oil. Cook until they soften. 1 – 2 minutes
2 Cloves Garlic, 1 Tablespoon Ginger, 6 Dried red chilies
- Add the sauce to the pan with the garlic and ginger, bring to a boil. The sauce will thicken. (NOTE: add additional cornstarch if the sauce is not thick enough. Add 1 teaspoon at a time. Mix the cornstarch with a teaspoon of water to make sure it will not clump)
- When the sauce has thickened (about 4 minutes) stir in the broccoli/cauliflower. Coat completely.
- Gently stir the shrimp into the sauce mixture.
- Serve and Enjoy!!!!!
Calories: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 243mg | Sodium: 190mg | Potassium: 495mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 189IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 1mg