This Peanut Zoodles and Spicy Shrimp salad might be my favorite summer dish of all time! It isn’t going to replace potato salad, grilled corn, pasta salads or fried chicken, all my childhood favorites, but it is definitely on my must-have list!!! All the spices mixed into the creamy peanut butter and then the fun shape of the zucchini and those sweet shrimp just makes my taste buds happy. I hope you try it and have the same happy feeling as me!
Ok, maybe this should be called zucchini noodles with a peanut sauce and shrimp. I think its easier to get people to try zoodles over zucchini noodles. Especially someone that doesn’t like veggies. This is a fun way to trick kids and adults into trying a new veggie dish.
Making the Peanut Zoodles and Spicy Shrimp
This comes together quickly after the prep work is done. First remove the shells from the shrimp. TIP: If the shrimp are frozen place them in some warm water. They will thaw in less than 10 minutes. Then the shells can easily be removed. If the shrimp have that “shrimpy” shrimp smell click here for how to remove that smell. ⬅️This trick works every time!!!
Place the shrimp in a small bowl and add the lemon juice. Set aside. Next, prep the zucchini, carrots, and peas.
Now its time to make the zoodles for the peanut zoodles and spicy shrimp. Cut the ends off the zucchini and rinse them with cold water. To noodle the zucchini, we use an attachment for our KitchenAid but there are several tools available to make the zoodles. Or you can buy the zucchini already “zoodled” at the grocery store.
Using a food processor with the shredding attachment or use a box cheese shredder-Shred the carrots.. Place in a bowl with the zoodles
For the peas bring a small pan of water to a boil, add the peas for one minute no more than three minutes. Drain them from the boiling water and run cold over them to stop them from cooking.
Now cook the shrimp. If adding hot peppers slice the peppers in half. Then add the olive oil to a large saute pan. Heat the olive oil for about 30 seconds until it starts to get hot. Add the garlic and peppers (if using). Toss around for about a minute. Then add the shrimp with the lemon juice. There’s going to be nice sizzle when the shrimp are added. Cook for about 5 minutes until the shrimp are done. The way to tell if the shrimp are done is that they will turn from translucent to opaque. They will have an opaque white color with some pink and bright red accents. Remove from the heat and place on a small dish. Set aside until ready to serve with the Peanut Zoodles and Spicy Shrimp.
Making the Peanut Sauce
We’ve made this with creamy and chunky peanut butter. I prefer the chunky peanut butter but both types are great for this peanut zoodles and spicy shrimp dish. For this step just mix all the sauce ingredients together; Peanut Butter, Soy Sauce, Sugar, Sesame Oil, Vinegar, and Pepper Flakes. Again if you don’t want this spicy just leave out the pepper flakes. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly together.
Toss together the zoodles, carrots, and peas. Then gently mix in the peanut sauce.
Enjoy the Peanut Zoodles and Spicy Shrimp!!!!!
Peanut Zoodles and Spicy Shrimp
Peanut Zoodles and Spicy Shrimp is a perfect blend of sweet & spicy. Topped with zippy lemon shrimp and loaded with fresh crunchy veggies all tossed in a peanut sesame sauce
A Few Things We Use
- KitchenAid Spiralizer
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- Mini Food Chopper
Zoodles and other veggies
- 3 Medium Zucchini Appx 6 Cups
- 1 Large Carrot Appx 1 to 1 1/2 Cups Shredded
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 3 Scallions (Green Onions) Optional
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter Crunchy or Smooth Peanut Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar Or White Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Pepper Flakes OPTIONAL
- 1 Pound Shrimp
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 Serrano Peppers OPTIONAL
- 1 teaspoon Salt
Zoodles and Veggies
- Shred/Noodle the Zucchini (or buy already shredded Zucchini). We use an attachment to the KitchenAid
- Using a box cheese grater or food processor with the grater attachment, grate the carrots (these can also be purchased already grated)
- Boil 2 cups of water. When water starts to boil add peas. Par Boil for One (1) minute. Drain Peas and run under cold water for a minute to stop them from cooking
- Mix together Soy Sauce, Sugar, Peanut Butter, Sesame Oil, Rice Vinegar, and OPTIONAL Pepper flakes
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon on the Shrimp
- Heat Olive oil add the garlic and Serrano peppers. (Only add the peppers if you want it spicy). Cook for about one minute
- Add the Shrimp with the lemon juice and salt.
- Toss Shrimp in the pan until cook about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat when shrimp are done.
- Toss together the Zoodles, Carrots, Peas and Green Onions
- Mix the peanut sauce into the Zoodles mixture and toss to coat
- Place in a serving dish
- Top with the cooked shrimp
Calories: 471kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 183mg | Sodium: 1708mg | Potassium: 1111mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 3962IU | Vitamin C: 53mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 3mg