It’s no secret we love spicy food. This Spicy Shrimp Curry did not disappoint!!! Now, for us it’s all about flavor with that spicy heat. I don’t know about you but have you ever ordered something that was spicy and all you taste is, well, the spice. For example, one time I ordered spicy chicken wings. All I could taste was the Tabasco sauce they soaked the wings. My ideal spicy food is when you bite into it and you taste several different flavors and then the heat of the pepper hits. Oh, and the other thing I love about spicy- well seasoned food is that you can really cut the calories because you don’t need to add a ton of oil and butter to get the flavor.
Spicy Curry Shrimp Recipe Development!!!
When we’re working on a new recipe we always write down all the spices, creams, oils/butter needed for the dish. Then we determine what we can do to cut the calories and boost the flavor. This recipe would normally have a cup of coconut milk or cream. A cup of coconut milk is 552 calories or a cup of cream with 469 calories compared to 142 calories for a cup of non-fat Greek yogurt. I don’t notice any difference in the flavor or the creaminess of the curry. In fact, if you want to add a couple of drops of coconut extract it will give a coconut flavor to the dish. AND… No calories in a few drops of coconut extract!!!
Steps to Make Spicy Curry Shrimp
This is a very easy recipe! It’s hard to believe that something this easy to make can have SO much flavor! I think the hardest thing in this dish is cleaning and deveining the shrimp. Tip: if the Shrimp has that “fishy smell”, follow the steps in our blog post on how to remove it here Click here. This only takes 3 additional minutes and is so worth the time!
How long does this recipe take?? About 10 minutes!!!
After the shrimp are cleaned. Chop the onions and ginger. Measure the spices. Cut the broccoli into bite size pieces. Saute the onions and ginger until they start to soften then add the spices. Add the Habanero pepper if you want this dish spicy. The Curry Shrimp is also really delicious without the pepper. We just love a really spicy curry!
When the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds to one minute, add 1/4 cup of water to make sure the spices don’t stick to the pan. Then add the peeled shrimp to the onion/ginger/spice mixture. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes until the shrimp are almost done. Gently stir in the blanched broccoli with the shrimp. Add an additional 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and cook until the sauce has cooked down by about half.
When sauce has cooked down to about half, remove from the heat. In order to keep the yogurt from breaking when adding it to the shrimp curry: In a separate bowl mix in the yogurt with about a 1/2 cup of the hot sauce. After the sauce and yogurt are mixed together it can be added to the rest of the shrimp curry sauce.
Final, and best step, serve over top of rice or, if you are like us and want to cut some additional calories, serve the Curry Shrimp over cauliflower rice. ENJOY!!!!!
Spicy Shrimp Curry
This Spicy Shrimp Curry recipe is packed with warm curry flavors and spices. Every bite will keep you coming back for more.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Ginger
- 1 Habanero Pepper Optional
- 3 Tablespoons Curry Powder
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon
- 1 Pound Shrimp
- 1 Juice of Lemon
- 1/2 zest of Lemon
- 2 Cups Broccoli (about 8 Ounces)
- 1 Cup Non Fat Greek Yogurt
- Chop Onion, Garlic and Ginger
- Prepare Shrimp (Remove Shells and Devein)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add Onion, Garlic, and Ginger.
- Sauté onions, garlic and ginger until onion is soft. Mix in the Habanero pepper. (Habanero is optional)
- Add the spices; Curry, Cumin, Turmeric, Sea Salt, and Bouillon. Sauté for 30 seconds to one minute until spice become fragrant
- Add 1/2 Cup of water and the lemon juice to the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add in the shrimp. Cook shrimp over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Gently stir in the broccoli (We blanch the Broccoli for one minute in salted boiling water, then drain and mix into the shrimp curry).
- Add 1 Cup of water to the shrimp and spice mixture
- Bring the water to a boil. Turn down to a slow boil and cook until the broth is reduced by about half.
- Take pan off the heat. Stir in the lemon zest. Take some of the broth (about a 1/2 cup) and stir into the yogurt. This will slowly heat up the yogurt so it won’t curdle and separate. It will also make the sauce nice and smooth.
- Stir the yogurt into the pan with the Shrimp and Broccoli.
- Serve with cilantro. ENJOY!!!
Calories: 213kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 185mg | Sodium: 770mg | Potassium: 696mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 368IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 194mg | Iron: 3mg