Younger-looking skin – it’s something we all want, especially after reaching a certain age. Most women start to notice visible signs of aging at some point during their thirties. By age 40, anti-aging skin care becomes important for just about everyone. The good news is… by using the following tips, you can keep your skin healthy, young, and radiant for many years to come!
1. Never go to bed with your makeup on. Younger-looking skin is healthy and that’s next to impossible without regular facial cleansing. Proper cleansing removes dirt and oil that can clog pores and lead to dull, drab-looking skin. Use a good cleanser on your face both morning and night for the best results. I’ve done this for years and it makes all the difference.
2. Choose skin care products designed for your particular skin type. There are lots of products to choose from but you can narrow down the search quickly once you determine your skin type and overall objective. Mature skin is often dry, but not always. Other possible skin types include oily, normal, combination, and sensitive. Your skin will respond better to the right products.
3. Keep your regular skincare routine in mind when treating specific skin problems. Common concerns such as rosacea, acne, and dark circles under the eyes often require extra care. Luckily, you have a lot of options in this regard. When you choose a particular treatment method, make sure it fits in with the other skin care products you’re already using. In some cases, you may need to replace a cream you regularly use with your new treatment product until the issue is resolved to avoid overlap.
4. Wear a ski mask, motorcycle helmet, or paper bag over your head to prevent sun damage. Okay, so that’s my attempt at being funny. But seriously, overexposure to the sun is a leading cause of premature aging. If you want to prolong the development of lines, wrinkles, and sun spots it’s important to protect your skin. Choose one of the newer “safe” sunscreens to use when you plan to be outside.
5. Apply makeup sparingly and avoid harsh colors that make you look older. Most girls beginning in their teenage years up to 20-something want to look older and apply makeup accordingly. Don’t wear the same colors and use the same application techniques as you did at age 23 – it won’t do you any favors.
6. Eat a skin-friendly diet. Maybe you’ve heard this before – your outward appearance is a reflection of what’s going on inside your body. The foods you eat have a lot to do with this. Consume plenty of raw fruits and vegetables as well as healthy oils. Salmon is a great skin food due to the essential fatty acids it provides. Also, remember to drink plenty of fresh water – it does wonder for your complexion.
7. Perhaps the most important anti-aging skin care tip of all, exfoliate your skin regularly. Exfoliation is a necessary step that gets rid of the dead cells that build up on your skin. If these cells are not removed they can clog your pores and make your skin look dull, tired, and old. But, when sloughed off once or twice a week the result is a healthy, vibrant complexion that looks amazing (and younger).