Looking for a delicious dish to serve at your next family gathering? This mouth-watering Mississippi chicken recipe is sure to please! It is easy to prepare and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. Plus, it is perfect for any occasion.
It tastes great and will leave your guests asking for seconds. Whether you are hosting a large party or just cooking for your loved ones, this dish is sure to be a hit. So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today!
What Is Mississippi Chicken?
Mississippi Chicken is a savoury chicken dish made with ranch dressing, au jus sauce, and pepperoncini peppers. It is delicious and goes well with side dishes or mashed potatoes or rice. As the dish is usually served with rice, it’s also referred to as Mississippi Roast. Depending on your preference, you can easily cook it on the stovetop or in the crockpot.
My family and neighbours love my Mississippi chicken dish, which is easy to prepare and delicious to eat. Whenever I cook this chicken dish, they ask me again and again to cook it”, says Lori Walker, the owner of Easy Kitchen Guide.
What kind of chicken is the best?
You can use any kind of chicken for cooking the Mississippi chicken dish. However, I’m using defrosted breasts in this recipe because they’re convenient and taste better. If all you can find is frozen ones, it will work too. Just defrost the chicken breast safely.
Chicken thighs can also be a great choice if you’re on a budget. If you are using chicken thighs, make sure you cut the butter in half since they contain more fat.
Free gifts for you
Are you struggling to exercise, lose weight or feel good about yourself? The free resources and support programmes I have to help you might be just what you need! Check them out by clicking the image below!
Mississippi Chicken Ingredients
To begin preparing Mississippi Chicken, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast: Chicken breast fillets are a good alternative if you’re not a fan of skin and bones. You won’t have to clean up after them.
- 1 oz Dry Ranch Dressing Packet: The packet of ranch dressing adds taste to the dish and is also delicious as a dipping sauce for the chicken.
- 1 oz Au jus Sauce Packet: The au jus sauce packet, similar to the ranch dressing packet, will add more flavour to your chicken.
- 5-6 jarred Peperoncinis peepers: Peperoncini peppers add a zesty flavor to your chicken while improving its texture.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick: Salted Butter, along with the other ingredients, will help make your chicken flavourful and tender.
How to Cook Mississippi Chicken on the Stove Top?
Cooking Mississippi chicken on the stovetop is very easy and simple. It takes about 30 minutes for the dish to be ready. Just follow these instructions, and you can prepare a very delicious chicken dish for your family and friends.
Step 1: Place all of your ingredients in a large pan:
Take a large cooking pan. Place the chicken breast (skinless and bones removed) in the pan. Add ranch dressing, au jus sauce, and Peperoncini peppers to the mix. Toss until thoroughly combined. Then place the butter on top of the chicken.
You have to arrange them in the same sequence as you would with a slow cooker.
Step 2: Cover Your Pan:
Cover the pan with a lid. Make sure that you tuck the lid firmly into the pan because juices might splatter out during this step.
Lori Walker has reviewed some excellent nonstick pans for electric stoves that perfectly prepare the Mississippi chicken. You may read it for further information.
Step 3: Cook for 30 Minutes on Low Heat:
Keep the heat on low. Let it cook for 30 minutes with the lid tightly in place. Stir occasionally to prevent the sticking of food at the bottom of the pan.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy!
Serve and enjoy your dish! You can eat this with rice, steamed vegetables, or mashed potatoes.
- You can add more Peperoncini peppers if you want your dish to be spicier.
- You can also add garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to your dish for more flavour.
- If you want to use skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut them into small cubes before placing them in the pan with the rest of your ingredients.
- It is best to use a large pan or pot because the chicken will increase in size as it cooks. Using a larger pan will help you cook the right amount of food in less time.
Is Mississippi Chicken Low Carb And Keto-Friendly?
Yes, it is! As long as you don’t serve it with rice or mashed potatoes. Keto-Friendly foods are made up of higher amounts of healthy fats like avocados, almonds or olive oil, and leafy green vegetables like spinach or kale, which are high in fibre but low in carbohydrates.
If you are on a keto diet, you can enjoy Mississippi chicken with your choice of greens such as arugula, leaf lettuce or kale (my favourite). You can top it with any of the following: hot sauce, a squeeze of lemon, avocado, low-sugar salad dressing, a sprinkle of cheese or sliced almonds. You can also eat it with cauliflower rice if you like.
My amazing freebies
I know how hard it can sometimes be to stick to a plan and follow a new routine. Planning is key so here are somethat should really help you with that.