When you move down the picturesque and beautiful East Coast road you come across Pondicherry approximately km south of Chennai on the Coromandel Coast. It is enclosed on the east by the Bay of Bengal and by the South Arcot region of Tamil Nadu on the rest of the three sides.
It is a historical spot at a distance of nearly 20 km from Pondicherry City. Fresh digging here has exposed some Roman currency, wine pots, and other remnants, which confirm that Arikamedhu was the initial Indo – Roman trading center.
The residence of the celebrated poet Subramaniya Bharati at Easwaran Dharmaja Koil Road has been converted into a beautiful museum.
One more poet Kanaksubburatnam write down under the name of Bharatidasan, and he reached the same pinnacle in poetry as Bharati had achieved. His dwelling at Perumal Koil Road has also been transformed into a museum.
Situated on the edge of river Chunnambar Boat house is to be found at a distance of just about 8 Km from Pondicherry.
The fine-looking garden was created in the year 1826. Numerous plants were got here from the various region of the nation and also destinations like Ceylon and Reumian.
The Government Square, the residence of the governor is surrounded by a gorgeous garden that has a memorial Aayi Mandapam in its middle. There are a few engraved monolithic pillars, which were fetched to Pondicherry from Gingee in the year 1751.
Numerous works of art belong to the previous age of Pondicherry. The remnants of the Chola, Pallava, and Vijaynagar eras outline the times gone by of this place.
An idyllic destination for an amble, the Promenade is approximately 1.6Km extended walk created along the beach. On the shoreline, there are statuettes of Mahatma Gandhi, Jeanne d’Arc, and Dupleix, a warfare monument, a legacy building, and an aged lighthouse that is some 28 meters elevated.
This impressive and regal building is French in style and was the dwelling of Joseph Francois Dupleix. It is presently the house of the Lieutenant-Governor of Pondicherry.
Shri Aurobindo Ashram
Shri Aurobindo, an eminent poet created the beautiful Ashram in 1920. The Samadhi in the Ashram building is the last resting place of Sri Aurobindo and his dear mother. The activities which are carried out in the ashram include cultivation, trade, art, yoga, and culture.