This Mediterranean-inspired recipe blends whole wheat spaghetti with the vibrant flavors of tuna, capers, and ripe tomatoes. With a zesty twist of lemon and a hint of chili for that extra kick, this meal not only excites your taste buds but also fits seamlessly into your Slimming World journey.
It’s a quick and healthy dinner option that won’t require you to count any syns, making it an ideal choice for those seeking a delicious yet guilt-free meal. Let’s embark on this easy-to-follow, Slimming World-friendly recipe that promises both satisfaction and nourishment!
As you twirl your fork through the whole wheat spaghetti, you’ll savor the harmony of textures and the zing of fresh ingredients. Best of all, there’s no need to worry about syns or guilt here – it’s Slimming World friendly all the way!
Why you’ll love this recipe….
- Full of flavour
- Low in calories
- Syn free on the Slimming World plan
- Easy to make
- Batch cook friendly
Health benefits of eating more tuna
Tuna is a nutritious fish that offers several health benefits when incorporated into your diet. Here are five health benefits of tuna:
- Rich Source of Protein
- Heart Health
- Weight Management/Loss
- Rich in Vitamins and Minerals
- Reduced Risk of Chronic Diseases
I don’t like capers, can I swap them for something else?
Capers have a distinct briny and slightly tangy flavor, and while there isn’t an exact substitute that replicates their unique taste, you can use certain ingredients as alternatives. Here are some options:
- Green Olives: Green olives, particularly pitted and chopped, can provide a similar briny and slightly salty flavor.
- Chopped Pickles: If you don’t like capers, you can try chopped pickles.
- Anchovies: Anchovies can bring a similar depth of flavor.
What is the best pasta to use for this recipe?
The best pasta choice would be spaghetti or any long, thin pasta. Spaghetti’s shape allows it to hold the sauce and ingredients well, and its slender form complements the other elements in the dish. However, you can also use other types of pasta if you prefer. Here are some options:
- Linguine: Linguine is a great alternative to spaghetti. It’s slightly wider and flat, providing a good surface area for the sauce to cling to.
- Fettuccine: Fettuccine is wider and thicker than linguine or spaghetti. It can work well with this recipe if you prefer heartier pasta.
- Angel Hair: If you want a lighter option, angel hair pasta is very thin and cooks quickly. It pairs nicely with the light and zesty flavors of the tuna, capers, and tomatoes.
- Whole Wheat Pasta: If you want to boost the dish’s nutritional value, consider using whole wheat versions of spaghetti or any of the above options. Whole wheat pasta adds more fiber and nutrients to the meal.
Ultimately, the choice of pasta comes down to personal preference. Use the one you enjoy the most or have readily available in your pantry. Just be sure to cook it al dente (firm to the bite) for the best texture in your dish.
Batch Cook – Storage Information
- Fridge: Allow to cool and then refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheat: When reheating, you can do so in the microwave or on the stovetop. Consider adding a splash of water or stock to the pasta to prevent it from drying out during reheating. Heat it until it’s piping hot to ensure food safety.
Remember that pasta dishes with tomato-based sauces can become a bit softer when reheated, so they may have a slightly different texture compared to when freshly cooked.
- Freezer: Allow to cool and then freeze any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
DON’T MISS A SINGLE RECIPE! SIGN UP TO FREE EMAILS BELOW.
Tuna, Caper, and Tomato Spaghetti
- 250g Whole Wheat Spaghetti
- 290g Tinned Tuna [Drained]
- 200g Fresh Tomatoes [Sliced into chunks]
- 50g Capers [Drained, rinsed]
- 2 Garlic Cloves [Minced]
- 1 Small Onion [Diced]
- ½ tsp Crushed Dried Chillies [Adjust to taste]
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chopped Parsley [Optional, for garnish]
- 1 Lemon [Zest and Juice]
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- Cook the Whole Wheat Spaghetti: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the whole wheat spaghetti and cook according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain the cooked spaghetti and set it aside.
- Prepare the Sauce: In a large pan, spritz some cooking spray over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and diced onion and sauté for about 2 minutes until they become fragrant and slightly translucent.
- Combine Tuna, Tomatoes, and Capers: Add the drained tuna to the pan and break it into smaller pieces with a fork. Add the tomatoes and capers to the pan. Stir everything together and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the tomatoes begin to soften.
- Season and Add Spice: Season the mixture with salt, pepper, and crushed chili (adjust the spice level to your preference). Stir in the lemon zest and juice for a burst of freshness.
- Combine with Spaghetti: Add the cooked whole wheat spaghetti to the skillet and toss everything together until the pasta is well coated and heated through.
- Serve: Divide the spaghetti with tuna, capers, and tomatoes among serving plates. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serve hot and enjoy your healthy and delicious meal!