Coconut Shrimp is a favorite appetizers to order when we go out for dinner. But if you are craving a nice crunchy coconut shrimp and you down want to go out Air Fryer coconut Shrimp is so easy. And it’s really easy . . . plus, it’s a great appetizer for parties or game day.
This Crispy Coconut Shrimp in the air fryer is really a restaurant quality! They are full of flavor and soooo delicious. Using the air fryer it is easy to cook the shrimp to perfection. By using the air fryer the shrimp is healthier the traditional oil fried version of coconut shrimp.
Why the Air Fryer for Coconut Shrimp?
Our air fryer is on of our most used kitchen tools. It’s great when you want to make some quick. The Air Fryer is great for using the summer time when you don’t want to heat up the house. It’s a really awesome way to have fried food without the use of oil. I don’t know about you but I never know what to do with the oil after deep frying. We do know that it is not a good idea to pour the oil down the drain! I may have learned this the hard way. Haha.
But seriously, the use of oil really has so many more negatives over air frying. Disposal of the oil is only one issue. How about how greasy everything feels after deep frying. The cooking smell lingers in the house for a long time. Plus, all those extra calories.
Air fryer Coconut Shrimp is so easy and really fast to make. The best part they are just as good as deep fried. Actually, I think they are better than deep fried. The shrimp is perfectly crispy, so much flavor and a great way to have a restaurant favorite in the comfort of your own living room while binge watching a great TV show!
To Dip or not to Dip!
These Shrimp are so good they don’t need a dip. We love a sweet and spicy dip with these Coconut Shrimp. It’s really easy to make a homemade dip but we are all about saving time and really why create a dip that might take longer to make than the actual coconut Shrimp.
We take a jar of Orange or Apricot Jelly mix in a Habanero pepper. The pepper adds a wonderful spice and blends in to the jelly so nicely. It’s so good with the coconut shrimp. Hey, it’s a great dip with any type of seafood appetizer. This mixture is great as a glaze on salmon.
The one pice of advice we love to give is to always remember if sharing a Dip NEVER Double Dip. HaHa
How to make Crispy Coconut Shrimp
Prepare the Shrimp. If the Shrimp has any type of Shrimpy smell make sure to follow theses easy steps. For pictures Click Here.
- Sprinkle one teaspoon salt on the shrimp.
- Stir the shrimp and salt for one Minute
- Repeat these steps two more times
- Rinse thoroughly
Pat the Shrimp dry and set aside to remove any excess water. This will help the breading to stick better and for the shrimp to get nice and crispy.
In a food process mix together the Panko, Coconut, Corn Starch, Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Powder and Salt.
Beat the egg. Add additional Coconut into the Panko mixture. By adding the additional coconut to the mixture it gives a nice texture to the shrimp.
Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Dip the Shrimp into the egg and then into the Panko/coconut mixture. Gently press the breading into the shrimp. Place the Shrimp into the air fryer basket.
When all the shrimp is in the air fryer basket. Spray the top of the shrimp with the cooking spray. We use Olive Oil spray but I’m sure Coconut Spray would be really good. Cook in 400 degree air fryer for 16 minutes. Flip the shrimp. Gently spray the shrimp and cook for 3 additional minutes or until the shrimp are golden brown and done.
- Do not overcrowd the shrimp in the air fryer. Only one layer and give some space between the shrimp. This helps to crispy up the breading on the shrimp.
- Use unsweetened Coconut. The sweet coconut has a little more moisture and won’t get a s crispy. Plus, it adds a sweetness that is not needed.
- If you use small shrimp it won’t take as long to air fry and might not get as crispy as the larger shrimp.
- 2 Pound Shrimp
- 3/4 Cup Panko
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Coconut
- 2 Tablespoon Corn Starch
- 2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoon Unsweetened Coconut
- 1 Egg
- Remove Shells from Shrimp. Dry Shrimp with paper towel. Remove excess water. Mix together in a food processor the Panko, unsweetened Coconut, Corn Starch, Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Salt
2 Pound Shrimp, 3/4 Cup Panko, 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Coconut, 2 Tablespoon Corn Starch, 2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Beat the Egg with a whisk or fork
- Add the Tablespoons of Unsweetened Coconut to the Panko mixture
3 Tablespoon Unsweetened Coconut
- Spray the Air Fryer basket with cooking spray. We use Olive Oil spray.
2 Pound Shrimp
- Dip the Shrimp in the Egg
- Place the Shrimp in the Panko mixture
2 Pound Shrimp, 3/4 Cup Panko, 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Coconut, 2 Tablespoon Corn Starch, 2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt, 3 Tablespoon Unsweetened Coconut
- Gently press the Panko into the Shrimp.
- Place the Shrimp on the air fryer basket.
- Lightly spray the Shrimp with cooking spray. This will help brown and crisp up the shrimp.
- Air Fry the Shrimp at 400 degrees for 16 minutes. Flip the Shrimp and lightly spray the shrimp and cook for additional 3 minutes or until the shrimp has the really nice golden color.
- Enjoy with your favorite cocktail!
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 208mg | Sodium: 643mg | Potassium: 377mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 238IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 1mg