Five Tips To Stick To Long Term Weight Loss
The big problem when it comes to dieting is that most diets, especially fad diets are not realistic. While they may be short term fixes in the long term you will see the weight return as you go back to your normal habits. Most people see exercise and dieting as quick fixes when they need to find healthy habits that promote weight loss and maintenance for a lifetime. Instead of thinking diet, think life choice.
Here are a few tips that will help you stay on track and maintain the weight you desire for a lifetime:
1. Stay away from fad diets. – You didn’t gain that 20 pounds in a week don’t expect to lose it in a week. It takes approximately 3500 calories to make up a pound of fat. To lose weight at a healthy pace and keep it off aim for a maximum of 2 pounds a week. It may not seem like much but 16 pounds over 2 months that stay off is much better than 16 pounds in 1 month which is gained back along with a few more for good measure!
2. Eat slowly and control your portions – This may seem like a simple concept but it’s really one that is overlooked and can be the cause of 100’s of extra calories daily. Your brain needs time to receive the signal from your stomach that it is full. Just because you go to a restaurant and they fill your plate doesn’t mean you have to eat it all.
3. Exercise as a way of life – You don’t necessarily have to exercise every single day at the gym for the rest of your life. Exercise can be as intense as an hour long cardio/strength training session daily or easy leisurely as taking your dog for a walk each evening before bed for a 1/2 hour. The point is that you need to find activities that keep you moving and keep your metabolism revved up. You will find that you will not only look better but feel better too.
4. Eat throughout the day instead of having 2-3 large meals – To keep your metabolism in peak running order it requires a constant flow of food energy. Instead of having a few large meals that make you feel sluggish and tired have 5-6 smaller meals with snacks in between to keep you energized. One big mistake people make is skipping meals throughout the day then having a very large one at night a few hours before they go to sleep.
5. Don’t skip breakfast – Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so don’t skip it. Take the time to have a nice healthy breakfast each morning. It is a great way to start off your day and puts you on the right track for a healthy day of eating.
These are all very easy tips to follow. They don’t require you give up all the wonderful foods that you love for the rest of your life and they don’t require that much effort. They are simple life choices that can help you lose and maintain weight loss for a lifetime.